Bappi Lahiri takes digs at AR Rahman!

bappi.jpg

Music composer Bappi Lahiri has all the reasons to celebrate but that hasn’t stopped him from taking digs at music maestro AR Rahman. Bappi says his international success is self made, unlike Rahman. Bappi will be on the jury for the 2012 Grammy awards, making him the first Indian to have got the honour.
He had sent his album World Peace and Harmony with saxaphone player Gerald Albright, for the Grammys this year, and although it made it to top 50, it didn’t get selected in the top 5 nominations. “See, I don’t have the backing of a producer like Danny Boyle. When you are on your own, it is difficult for an Indian to win,” he says, adding, “My songs Jimmy jimmy and Kaliyon Ka Chaman are well recognised. In 1988, my song Habiba was the first to be on the UK billboard. I got Samantha Fox to India, and when Michael Jackson came to India, he said that he had heard my song Disco Dancer.”
Despite his international recognition, Bappi says, unlike Oscar-winner Rahman, he never felt the need to leave India. “I love my country way too much. Main Rahman ki tarah sab kucch chhod ke LA mein nahi baith sakta. I can do all international collaborations from here. I am talking to MIA and Rihanna on songs that I am composing,” says Bappi.
About his style at the Grammys, the composer says that he will stick to his “bling bling Bappi” image. “That’s my style. But I’ll wear a three piece suit,” he adds.