Susan Lucci: Goodbye, 'All My Children',Awards

Susan Lucci poses with her 'Dancing With The Stars' partner, Tony Dovolani.

Iconic soap opera star Susan Lucci, 64, this week shot the very last scene of the very last episode of the very last season of All My Children, which is going dark.

ABC suits announced in April that after 42 years on the air, AMC will be tossed into the yawning chasm, into that unforgiving abyss, TV history.

“It just didn’t seem real,” Lucci tells TVGuide.com of her last shoot.

“Walking out on to the set for my first scene yesterday morning, I have to say, I started to feel it,” adds Lucci, who plays Erica Kane on the soap.

“I had to rein my emotions back in because I had to work ... but the setting was spectacular! Perfect for the last day of shooting.”

Lucci has appeared on AMC since its very first episode on January 5, 1970. She is the only original star left on the show today. More recently, she competed in Season 7 of Dancing with the Stars with partner, Tony Dovolani. And she published her memoir, All My Life, in March.

She says she’s ambivalent about leaving Erica behind.

“There are a lot of feelings,” she says. “There’s pride and excitement and gratitude and joy and celebration — and still a cloud over us because we don’t know.”

The last episode of All My Children will air Sept. 23.

VIDEO: Susan Lucci reacts to news that ABC plans to cancel All My Children.